background

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I think this 'holiday' should happen in the middle of the week.  Yes - a 'holiday' that everyone has off work....so it can be a real day of rest for Mothers....not a day of rest that is already deemed a day of rest.

My Mother's Day started with a 5:30am wake up from Zach.  His stomach didn't feel good and he wanted to sleep on the floor in our room.  My first response in my half woken state?  It was "can you go lay on the couch in the other room?"  Not very Motherly was it.  Dustin walked Zach in to the other room and stayed with him so I could get another couple hours of shut eye.  Around 8:30am I woke up and found Zach still chilling on the couch (apparently he did throw up about 6:30am and felt fine ever since), Dustin making breakfast and Logan glued to the TV.

We ate the yummy breakfast and then the kids were DYING to give me my Mother's Day gifts.  I have to five props to Dustin on this one....he had taken the kids out individually on different nights last week to specifically shop for my gift.  He let them pick 100%.  Zach decided I needed some girl bows for my hair...and then decided I needed a girl hat to go along with it (think Michael Jackson hat, but hot pink and sequenced).  Logan decided I needed two bags of dove chocolate (that's my boy!), the Princess Bride Blu-ray DVD and a package of Top Ramen.

The daycare center our kids go to had given us a DVD from Zach's room for Mother's Day.  We spend the next hour watching it.  It was a slide show of all the activities Zach's class has done for the last 6 months.  The music that was on the DVD while the pictures were changing were all the songs Zach sings and dances to at daycare.  We had quite the show going on in our living room - both Zach and Logan were dancing and singing!

Next we decided to pick up some KFC for lunch and take it to the American Fork Canyon for a picnic lunch.  The weather was perfect for it.  So off we went.  We found ourselves a nice little picnic location not too deep into the Canyon.  There was lots of trees, greenery, river, and rocks for all of us to take in. The kids were too excited to explore that they didn't really eat any lunch.


There were mountainsides to climb....



Insects to find and play with (silk worms were all around us!)....



Rocks to throw in the river....


It was a good time.  Not as relaxing as we had planned on it - always making sure you have an eagle eye on each kid at any given moment.  We didn't want them to find wild animals and start playing with them...or try and run directly into the fast moving freezing cold river....but very enjoyable.  So much enjoyable that we bought a yearly pass to enter the Canyon.  I foresee many summer evenings spent up here.

The rest of the day was a blur.  There was some playing out in front of our house with the gator, left overs for dinner, and IronMan 2 on the TV to enjoy in the evening.

No comments: